Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bob the Builder Award: Jon Bon Jovi

Who knew that this guy.....


would grow up to look like this guy....



Who would go and do this....



I remember the first time I saw Jon Bon Jovi.  It was Fall 1986, Friday Night Videos and he was singing "You Give Love a Bad Name."  I was with my boyfriend, D, and we were at his house with some friends.  I remember it like it was yesterday because it was the first time D had allowed me to wear his coveted yellow Genera sweatshirt I had begged to wear for months.  Stellar night I will tell ya.  Been a fan ever since.  Of Jon and that yellow sweatshirt.  I don't know if Genera is even still a company anymore.  But Jon is still around, and I read about him in all places last week...my Heifer International magazine.

The Soul Kitchen  is located in a former auto body shop (hey Dave, I know what you can do with the building after you retire....).   It is a pay-what-you-can food kitchen restaurant for the hungry.

There are no prices on the menu.  Customers simply leave what they can in an envelope on the table and if they cannot pay, they can bus tables, wash dishes or do community service instead.

"I worked hard to make sure the restaurant doesn't have a soup kitchen feel.  Tables are set with linens and silver.  An herb and vegtable garden are right outside to provide fresh ingredients for the entrees, which include offerings like grilled salmon and chicken with homemade basil mayo." 

This is the latest of the projects Jon's foundation has worked on.  He has also help build 260 homes for low-income families.

Jon, here's to you Bob the Builder.  You give love a great name.  :)