Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kansas goes high tech

Poor little Kansas (the state, not the 70's band).

They get a lot of flack, which I think is directly related to being flat.  It does have some rolling hills and a couple trees here and there.  I have seen them.

What I haven't seen is the World's Largest Ball of Twine...home:  Kansas.

I cannot tell you how many times we have been asked "How is Kansas?" when our buddies call from around the country.  "I don't know" is my standard reply.  "I live in Missouri" (insert their sheepish embarrassment here).  Get a map, friends.

Since I am like a resident of Kansas in most of my loved ones minds, I feel a kinship to them.

One thing I know about Kansas, besides being the butt of many mid-west jokes (like Iowa has much room to talk....and Nebraska....what you talkin' about?)  I know that many Kansans LOVE them some Jayhawks.


This is the mascot of the area University. 

There is a big rivalry between Missouri and Kansas, which I could care less about, not being a local and all. 

But I do think the locals would be sad to find out that even though the government recognizes they are two separate states, the rest of America does not.  Don't tell them...I don't want to upset them before the holidays.

You don't have to be a fan to know the phrase "Rock Chalk" which is a term the KU fans love.  I don't know what it means, how it came to be, or anything interesting like that.  I do know it is like the Kansas call.  Like a homing device that most loyal fans know and can chant.

Mr. Fun sent this on to me in the spirit of the holidays:


Think Trans-Siberian Orchestra--Kansas Style.

Happy holidays from the Midwest.  :)