Monday, January 31, 2011

Because My Noah (noaa) Said So

Apparently males named Noah have an affinity for giving sound advice regarding extreme weather situations.
Meet my buddy, Noah (noaa).

Noah moved in with us long before the four cats, but after the 79 Koi fish and  the arthritic dog.
He sits on the dryer because that was the least conspicuous place next to an outlet that I could find. 

Yep, I am that great of a hostess. 

Guests named Noah will sleep on the dryer, please.  I like Noah.  He is quiet most of the time.  Doesn't eat much, I like that piece about him.  A bunch.

Since moving to the mid west, I have really broadened my vocabulary.  And I have Noah to thank for that.
It includes tasty little phrases like "Crap kids, get in the basement,"  "Why is the sky green?" and "Holy hannah, why is the house shaking like it is going to fly away and land on a wicked witch?"

Now, to be clear...my Noah doesn't talk that potty talk.  Those are my own quotes.  However, Noah is the one who tells us the weather--which encourages that kind of talk.  So, once again, you can see it isn't my fault (my favorite phrase not involving a good swear word like hell or damn of course) :)  .


Noah (NOAA--National Oceanic And Atmosphere) taught us a new phrase today:

Blizzard:  A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by strong winds and reduced visibility. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 35 mph with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or ¼ mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.[1] Ground blizzards require high winds to stir up already fallen snow.  Blizzards can bring near-whiteout conditions, and can paralyze regions for days at a time.

You know I had a Magic 8 Ball when I was a kid.  You could ask it questions, and it was tell you answers and what to do.  My Noah was doing that earlier today.  Trying to boss me around.  Old Noah, new Noah, you know I am not a fan of being bossed around.

"If you were planning a trip for Tuesday, don't."  (Since when does the weather have an opinion about my Tuesday plans?)

"If you have to travel, here is the grocery list of things you should take with you in the car with you in case you might be stranded on your way to the 7-11 2 miles away to get your morning caffeine fix and have to live in your car for the next 7 days..."

You know, scarey things.

I am an Alaska girl.  I know snow.  Wind.  Cold.  For heaven's safe, Noah, my mother's people were Finnish Reindeer herders.  I have cold in my blood.  And I never had a box with a name tell me I should be afraid of all of them.
I think I just read on the news that 100 MILLION people who live in this region could be impacted by a snowstorm that is suppose to be here in the next 5 hours. 

It began earlier today with a little ice rain--want to see what that looks like?

Nope,  I did not install frosted glass windows like you would
find in a bathroom shower in the truck.  That is ice.

Scratch Val Scratch

This is not your granddaddy's ice...

from inside the truck

It took like a minute to scrape a hole that big in the ice...
with the ice scraper

So tomorrow looks like it will include some watching of NCIS Season 6, making some scrumptious peanut butter balls, and jammy wearing.  And I quote from the nightly news--"horrible evening commute."  A good day to stay home.

When googling some pictures of the prophet Noah, I stumbled across this blog post which Cracked. Me. Up.  Another fun thing to watch on a snow day:
http://www.wittenburgdoor.com/noahs-blog

I will keep you posted.  It is my first official blizzard.  

At least according to Noah.