Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bob the Builder Award: You, feeding the hungry



I cannot understand why so many people are hungry.  There is food everywhere.  I mean really, everywhere on this planet.  It has never made sense to me. 

September is National Hunger Action Month.

Most hungry don't have the power to speak for themselves.  So I officially volunteering to speak for them today.  I am a helper like that...

Friends, lots of folks are hungry.  I don't mean "Man, where is that pizza?  I guess I will eat this carmel corn until the pizza guy shows up..." like I just thought about 45 minutes ago kind-of-hungry.  I mean the kind of hunger that drives children to eat things like paper and adults to simply completely go without.

This is information from the Kansas City area.  But I am sure you could insert your city name here.

66,000 people a week are served by Harvesters--The Community Food Network
37% are children
8 % are senior
40% of households have at least one adult working
30% choose between buying food or paying their medical bills

If you know me, you know I have a soft spot for the hungry.  I have given away a lot of Mr. Fun's money to buy food I haven't eaten.

Did you know that money is actually more productive to give to the food banks than food.  $1 will buy 5 meals for five folks.  $1. 

Here are some ways to help the hungry in your community:
Pledge to help
Stay informed on hunger issues in your community
Donate extra produce to the Harvestor's "Grow a Row" program
Collect cans of food from your guests at a party or BBQ you host
Donate money
Kraft will donate one meal for everyone who joins http://www.huddletofighthunger.com/
Do someting on September 11th -- National Day of Service
Bring a brown bag to lunch for a week and donate the money you saved from eating out
Sort food at a local food bank
Cook a meal with your children and discuss the problem and how your family can serve
Play on the internet http://www.freerice.com/ For every right answer, 10 grains of rice is donated to the World Food Programme. 

Good luck friends.  :)