Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Bob the Builder Award: It Won't Happen To Me

Great Kansas City Chapter
For those of you who don't know, our church friend's lost their 17-year old daughter Megan in a wreckless teen driving accident in December and they are painfully making their way towards the new definition of their everyday life.
They have met a group from Georgia that has a non-profit group called "It Won't Happen To Me" that specializes is educating teens about making smart driving decisions.
Did you know that THE NUMBER ONE cause of teen deaths from ages 15-19 years is wreckless teen driving. It isn't what you think. It isn't all about drugs or alcohol. Actually, less than 25% of these accidents involve drugs or alcohol. The other 75% are related to speed, inexperience, and distracted (ie texting) driving. In Megan's case, she was a passenger of a car driven by another youth who was "hill jumping/hopping", something I have learned is quite common here in the hilliness of Missouri.
Lori and Tom, Megan's parents, have decided to do something in their new life that they haven't done before. They have started a chapter of this group here for the Kansas City area, the FIRST chapter outside the Atlanta area in the entire United States. Groundbreakers. Advocates. Brave....those are words you could use to describe this work. Don't say it to Lori. She is sick of hearing how brave she is.
These parents feel like this is a way they can make sense of Megan's death. Her death has led them to a place where they can help educate and make aware other kids whose deaths can be prevented. They feel her spirit in this work. They feel God's spirit leading them. They have asked me to come along and help. It is my priviledge to do so.
This Friday night from 6-9pm we will have our coming out party (first public appearance) at the Smithville Town Square for a safety fair. Stop by. Get a Dum-Dum sucker. See our banner we spent 16 man hours making. :)
Free up your morning on Saturday September 19th at 10 am for our first fundraiser...."In Memory Of..." The monies we are using to get started is Megan's savings that she was saving for her senior isn't much and we need more to get the program going. That is why we are having a fundraiser. It is all tax deducatable--any donation that we receive. Save the date. More information forthcoming.

If you want to read more, go to the web site. Drive carefully.