Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What's in a name?

I just had my 8th and 9th medical appointments yesterday since the 8th of April.

Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis.

Eosinophilic gastroenteritis is a rare disease in children and adults sometimes characterized by food-related reactions, infiltration of certain white blood cells (eosinophils) in the GI tract, and an increase in the number of eosinophils in the blood. The symptoms are nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and occasionally diarrhea. His mast cells are also involved, which I told the other doctor about 14 months ago I thought they were. Hey, what do I know? :)

It can also be attributed by catching a virus and it settling in the lower stomach/small intestine. As they think it is what happened with the Boy.

Whew.

We have a name and the medical biopsies to prove it. We can deal with the rest. They do not know if they can cure it or if it is something that will have to be managed the rest of his life.

We also had a great conference with the school. They said because of my diligence (thanks persistant genetic make up) and strong family support at home (thanks teachings of Mormonism) they will let him stay with his class. Anyone else they said they would have flunked.

They also told me that I should take the MCAT. No thanks. I am sick of sick people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for our favorite Kidney Cancer patient, Tom, the news is not as cheery.

His brain is free from cancer. Hooray!

The bad news is that the main spot in his lung has almost doubled in the last three months.
He will have surgery as soon as they can get him in and have part of his lung removed to try and control the cancer growth. We meet the surgeon on Monday.