Monday, January 12, 2009

Hey Nuns, can I have a picture? :)

So this is two nuns that we hung out with today at their thrift store.
Sister Lillian, the nun in black, is a newbie. She was 48 years old when she became a nun after working in insurance for her occupation. Her priest said she had nunny skills, and so she began her full time ministry. Running the thrift store is her life. I asked her if she was the boss of other nuns, and she looked me in the eye and said, "Val, I am a peon just like you." Nice. Not every day one is dissed by a nun.
Sister Nun was from another order off Noland Road that wears brown. She stopped by with a non-nun guy in farmer overalls named Mike. They were picking up TONS of clothing that wasn't moving at the thrift store and paying to have it shipped to South Dakota to an indian reservation. She is almost 70. The reservation would like a 53' container shipped every month, but Sister Nun said they can only afford one a quarter.
Sister Lillian was super bossy, sort of ADD, used your name in every sentence she spoke to you and reminded me of a particular former truck driving girl from Alaska I know.