Thursday, February 12, 2009

True Unlove Songs

The KC Mom blog (http://www.kckanenwishers.blogspot.com/) today hit a subject that I was going to address on Saturday, so I will address it today.

The Love CD--the new fangled version of the "Mix Tape." I remember my first mix tape...boyfriend in 10th grade. It was true love. Until he slept with his best friend... Andrew. Yeah, I know. Yuck. Super yuck.

Recently I read in the paper some of the most misunderstood "love songs" in popular culture. I thought I would share them with you. Like KC Mom, there are just some songs you might not want to give your sweetheart. And I quote the article:

*"Every Breath You Take" by the Police. The most popular wedding song in the 1980's. "Every move you make, every vow you break, every smile you take, every claim you stake, I'll be watching you." Stalker anyone?


*"More Than Words" by Extreme (an Anderson family mocking favorite). "More than words is all you have to do to make it real. Than you wouldn't have to say that you love me, 'cause I would already know." Maybe they should have called the song "Put Up or Shut Up". (gross says Val)

*"Your Love" by the Outfield. "Stay the night but keep it under cover. I just wanna use your love tonight." Doesn't the word "use" suck all the romance out of the room?


*"Escape--the Pina Colada Song" by Rupert Holmes. "I was tired of my lady, we'd been together too long. Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song." And when they see each other at their cheating meeting spot, they laughed. Yeah, right.

With the availabilty of Google, I would recommend that you look up the words of your mix CD before you give out.

I am a good example of a bad example. I had the Girl make a mix CD for my International RYLA students last summer. One song she asked me if I was sure I should add it. It is loud and has a great beat. Of course, I say. Add it. So she did. Since I don't know the words of any songs, it was only AFTER it was on it's way all over the world with the RYLA kids did I learn that the real name of the song was "You and Your Hand." Sung by a girl who had just split from her husband.

Yeah, I know. Yuck. Super yuck.